Local search engine optimization (also known as local SEO) is one of the best ways for small businesses to take advantage of simple SEO tools. Local search SEO increases a business’s presence online, and it also brings more customers into the brick-and-mortar store.
Many businesses, however, find it difficult to start a local SEO campaign simply because it seems like a complicated process; to be sure, bigger businesses tend to dominate local searches unless a small business is dedicated enough regarding their search engine optimization strategies, too!
Here are just a few simple ways that your business can improve on local search SEO:
- Optimizing your own website is crucial for local SEO. Website design should focus on a clean and clear presentation for mobile device users, since most local searches on conducted on smartphones and tablets. Make sure your contact info is clearly listed on every page, and make sure that you claim your business on Google!
- Building out your listings on other websites is another way to improve your local search results on Google. Facebook, Google+, and Yelp are all very influential to the overall ranking on Google local results. The key here is to make sure that each of these pages are built out fully and that they aren’t duplicates of each other.
- While you’re on those sites, start using social media a bit more! If you’re hoping to get more traffic into your Main Street store, you can make that a reality by starting to improve the digital traffic to your website. Engaging with customers via social media is a great approach to any digital marketing campaign, and it’s good for local search SEO as well.
- Encouraging customers to leave reviews of your business on local listings websites is a good idea too, but remember that you can’t delete bad reviews! Google local searches are influenced by customer reviews on sites like Yelp, CitySearch, and by your local Chamber of Commerce.
- Last but not least, remember that you need to keep optimizing your local search campaign on a regular basis, and this means updating your website to show Google that you’re active. It takes a little bit of an investment at first, but local SEO is one of the most affordable ways to use internet marketing to your greatest advantage.